Write-up and re-watch: North East FinTech Showcase 03/06/21
Joe Roche / 3rd June 2021
On the 3rd June the Northern FinTech community came together to discuss FinTech in the North East. The North East FinTech Showcase was hosted in partnership with Dynamo North East and Tech Nation.
For anyone who was unable to join the session live, we have produced a write-up and recording. Please click the image below to view the recording and see below for the write-up!
Working in partnership with Dynamo North East and Tech Nation, FinTech North aimed to highlight some of the recent FinTech innovation and new market entrants to emerge in the North East. The region was recently recognised by the Kalifa Review into UK FinTech as an emerging cluster, and is home to many established FinTech brands including Sage, Atom Bank & Newcastle Strategic Solutions to name a few.
To demonstrate the strength and depth of the ecosystem, we brought together a showcase featuring FinTechs of different stages representing different sub-sectors, ranging from Payments, Investment, Crowdfunding, InsurTech, right through to FinTech marketing specialists.
See below for the showcase & panel timings:
- Siddesh Iyer, CEO, SportFin – 00.12.33
- Norman Peterson, Co-founder, Quva – 00.19.09
- Andy Kelly, Co-founder, The Bang – 00.25.54
- Eric Guo, CEO, Spark EPOS – 00.31.47
- Nzube Ufodike, Chair, Embrace – BCS – 00.36.22
- Tom Spence, Head of Product, Honcho – 00.43.01
- Steven Marks, Business Development Director, Newcastle Strategic Solutions – 00.50.43
- Stewart Bromley, CTO, Atom Bank – 00.56.02
North East FinTech Panel Discussion & Audience Q&A: 01.03.53
- Dawn Dunn (chair), Innovation Manager; FinTech & Data Clusters, Dynamo North East
- Kate Patton, Entrepreneur Engagement Manager, Tech Nation
- Taya Allen, Head of Digital, Newcastle Strategic Solutions
- Kevin Telford, Client Partnerships Lead & Data Intelligence Advocate, AND Digital
- Tom Spence, Head of Product, Honcho
FinTech Wales – Johnny Mayo, GM at FinTech Foundry: 01.28.01
Joe Roche welcomed attendees on behalf of FinTech North, before outlining the work FinTech North does in the ecosystem then running through the event format.
Dawn Dunn, Innovation Manager for FinTech & Data Clusters at Dynamo North East, was our next speaker Dawn welcomed attendees on behalf of Dynamo and explained how Dynamo support the North East Tech economy.
Kate Patton, Entrepreneur Engagement Manager at Tech Nation, was next on the virtual stage. Kate outlined some of Tech Nations recent programmes of entrepreneur support, including FinTech 4.0 and Libra 1.0.
We then brought together our speakers for their quick-fire pitches as part of the Showcase. See above for showcase timings.
We were then delighted to be joined by Taya Allen, Head of Digital, Newcastle Strategic Solutions and Kevin Telford, Client Partnerships Lead & Data Intelligence Advocate, AND Digital for our panel discussion, which also included Kate Patton, Tom Spence and was chaired by Dawn Dunn. See above for panel timings.
Last but certainly not least, we were joined by Johnny Mayo, General Manager at FinTech Wales Foundry. Johnny explained about opportunities available for Northern FinTechs to get involved with FinTech Wales dedicated FinTech incubator and accelerator.